Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Summer Breeze Race Recap

Summer Breeze, Mile 13.1


A few weeks ago, Kiwi and I raced our second half marathon event in Denver. It went well. The weather was nice and slightly overcast, the course was an out-and-back; well marked. All-Out Multisport put on the event, and they do a great job.

They start the half marathoners, then 30 minutes later the 10kers head out, followed by 5kers. This means the 5k is finished first and their have awards and a raffle right away. By the time they clear out, the 10k is ready to wrap up, followed by the half marathoners. So 3 events, well-staggered, and well staffed. Every runner gets chocolate milk, gatorade, water, a breakfast burrito, and a medal & shirt for each distance. And free picture downloads. Also, the raffles are huge! There are always enough prizes for everyone. At my first event, I won a 3 month membership to Massage Envy. What a perfect runner gift! At the Summer Breeze event, I won a free pizza from Papa Murphy's. Again- great! They make sure everyone goes home with something.

The events are very spectator friendly, with the coordinators announcing when and where the best places to spot us might be. Also, parking and bathrooms are always a stone's throw from the start/finish line.

Obviously, I enjoy these events. I've also joined All-Out Multisport's volunteer program where you help with packet prep, early pick up, or a day you aren't racing and in exchange you can race for free. What a deal! Love it! And Kiwi gets a volunteer shirt all of his own.

As far as my experience this particular race, it was a lot smoother than my first try at the half distance at altitude. My breathing and legs were a lot more comfortable and I took 10 minutes off my first race. I still have a ways to go to PR here as opposed to at sea-level, but we're closing the gap!

No comments:

Post a Comment