Thursday, November 8, 2012

November Race; Miles 1-16

Kiwi.
What?
It's been, like, a week since the marathon. Are you gonna post anything?
I got a new app.
So I'll be writing?
Yup.

Saturday the 3rd was the Rock and Roll Marathon benefiting the American Cancer Society here in Savannah, Ga. Last year I completed the full marathon in 6:03:25. This year I completed it in Awesome:Much:Faster. Okay, let's get to the story.

My sister Tiffany-
And Nu Blu!
Hush, Kiwi. My sister Tiffany and her phone "Nu Blu" dropped me off downtown at 6:30am. I walked a block to the start line and talked to some other runners. Competitor Group, a for-profit organization, does a great job with their events. Bathroom wait? Nada. Walked right up. And corrals? No problem. I just jumped into Corral 10 and headed for the start. I knew I picked the right one when our start music was Eye of the Tiger.

Off we go! Headed down Bay Street toward the industrial district. Let me state: these people rock! It's cold out and we're moving. They're standing there cheering their heads off with only jackets and coffee to keep them warm. I'm enjoying the crowds and the other runners more than my own music. Under I-16 & back downtown for more mileage, cheering crowds with some old school and some original signs, and the dreaded brick streets.

Did you fall down?
No. But I threw up later.

I didn't fall down, I headed for Gordonston with everyone else. Around mile 10, I was very close to my Athens Half pace and delighted with that. Gordonston, like the industrial district; was out in force with their own homemade water stations, kids and adults running back and forth with cut apples, grapes, and oranges, and lots of cheering sections. When you're putting in the kind of effort we were that day, the support of the community is what pulls you through. The grapes help, but knowing someone took the initiative to show up with those grapes goes so much farther.

Out of Gordonston, down Anderson. This is where we separate the slightly mental from the fully committed (or need to be committed). The half marathoners head straight back toward Forsyth while we full marathoners turn on to Truman for part two.

Around mile 15.5, my parents were waiting for me. My mom ran with me for a quarter mile to let me know I was coming in right under 5 hours and see what I needed. I requested Chapstick, which she called ahead to my siblings at Savannah State University. Turning into the university, I had exactly what every runner needs- a fully stocked ultra crew ready to roll! My brother-in-law Blake had the camera rolling while my sister Lily paced me and my sister Tiffany took pictures, gave me Chapstick, filled my handheld water bottle, and restocked my Gu chomps. They put Will in charge of Kiwi and "base camp." Then they left me to run the back circles alone.

That's when the electrolyte imbalance hit. Hard. The chomps I'd trained with for months refused to go down. I remember actually talking to my stomach, saying "better in than out." My stomach responded. It rejected the chomp, the concept, the whole 9 yards. I jumped up on the sidewalk and threw up. Now, as those of you who have been following the blog know; I also threw up at the University of Georgia. Never while I was in school there, but definitely after the race. Now here I was throwing up at Savannah State. All I can say is that I hope the Jacksonville half runs near a college campus. It would be tragic to break the streak now.

Kasha!!!!
What, Kiwi? I'm in the middle of a blog!
I broke the app.
What? How do you break an app?
I dunno, but I did it.

Okay, everyone.
Your favorite electronic idiot needs attention. I'll pick back up tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment