Monday, November 26, 2012

Kasha Signs Up For Stupid. BY KIWI

In case you are new here, I am KIWI. I am Kasha's phone. She is decorating her Christmas corner and cleaning and doing, well, stuff. I use the italics. That's how you know it's me. 

Kasha has a race fever.
That means when she doesn't have a Big Race coming up, she gets weird.
Well, weirder than her usual level of weird.

On Thursday we got to do the United Way Turkey Trot. She let me ride in the stroller. I like that, but she says she won't push a stroller just for me to ride in. Also, we are doing Runner's World Run Streak. That means we (Kasha) runs at least a mile every day from Thanksgiving through New Years. This is good because she needs to run a lot to pretend to be like everyone else. This is bad because Kasha is gonna want to run every single day. But you know what's funny? The first 3 days of the streak, she had to push a stroller. Thursday was Turkey Trot with Aidan. Friday she was taking care of Aidan and his big brother all day, so she borrowed a double stroller and off we went! Saturday she took Aidan with her to go walk dogs. They stroller-ed to that, too. But that made Sunday's run really cool.

Kasha's first ever run goal was an 8 minute mile. Just one. Just once. Couldn't do it. After November Race (Rock n Roll Savannah) she decided she would be a 9 minute runner. That means her go-to pace would be 9 minutes. And her first 4 mile run, she did it! So on Sunday, Kasha was mad at, well, everything. Her car broke. Yucko. But she had been pushing that stroller really hard! So she flew out the door super fast. She ran a 7:35 mile!!! She was so excited!

Then she spent an hour calculating splits and new possible race times.

See? She's totally weird. 

So Sunday's run broke, like really big broke; the old record. She's very happy. Today she used the treadmill at gym-work and ran 1.5 miles just for fun at a 9:13 pace.

On Saturday, we run the Savannah River Bridge Run. The first year, Kasha ran with a friend. The second year she coached and ran a new runner. The third year, she moved up to the 10k. This year, we will run the 10k again. Then later that month we will go to Jacksonville for December Race. She's very excited, because her Boston-runner friend go there, too. 

Oh. I got off track.

I was gonna tell you what happened when Kasha got race fever.

January was gonna be our Charleston full marathon race. But she hadn't signed up yet, because she also hadn't dealt with the hotel logistics. Then Fleet Feet emailed. 

...Fleet Feet emails are dangerous. They say stuff like "shoes on sale!" "cool new runner clothes!" and "check out this Ultra Marathon!"

WHAT?!?!?

An Ultra Marathon is a race more than 26.2 miles. The distances usually go from 50 km (31 miles) all the way to Stupid (100 billion million infinity miles).

You know how people-brains work? They go, "26 miles? That's crazy! I'm gonna eat some pie!"

You know how Kasha's brain works? It goes, "31 miles? That's only 5 more than 26!"

Then her brain did more bad stuff. It went like this:

"31 miles? That's only 5 more than 26! There's an 8 hour time limit. My longest marathon took 6 hours. That's two more whole hours to crawl 5 miles! And I did the first Turkey Trot as my first 5K and went back to Athens, Ga for their first half marathon to be my first half marathon and I did my first full marathon as the first Savannah marathon and if the Ultra goes well, I will have always done the first one and if it isn't well-received, I will have done the only one as my first one and my city is GIVING me an Ultra. ...it would be rude to not do it. And this is the Universe telling me why I never signed up for Charleston and-"

I'm just gonna cut it off there. 

January 12th, Kasha is gonna run 31 miles. 




....I hope I can ride in the stroller.

LOVE KIWI

1 comment: