Thursday, October 30, 2014

Mile High Half



Last weekend, Kiwi and I raced the Denver Rock and Roll Half Marathon. It is the 2nd of 3 Rock and Roll Races (4 if you count 2 in Savannah) we will run this year.

So here's a quick recap.

Hockey Goalie dropped me off at the designated drop off and I started walking in the general direction of the corrals. Half a block over were porta-potties, and the next block over were the corrals, and specifically, MY corral! Yeah! Easy! So I waited in my throw-away outer garments til race time. Then, off we go! A bit of hill, a bit of cold, and a bit of wind. I hit the 5k mark right over 30 minutes, then the 10k mark at right over an hour. That was a PR at altitude! Yeah! Then I realized I was doing pretty well and tried to hold on to my speed.

By mile 11.25, I was hurting. That distance-speed combination that doubles you over and makes you feel like throwing up. So I eased up a bit but kept running. I crossed the finish line at 2:20:45, which was a PR for altitude and within sight of my overall PR. Yeah!

Also, I used runner tracking this time, so it was really easy for Hockey Goalie to find me at the finish line as he knew exactly when I crossed. The finish line was well stocked and the medal is pretty cool.

Up next:
365 Day Run Streak
The Savannah Rock and Roll Half
The Savannah Rock and Roll 5K
Thanksgiving 10K
RunDenver 5K
RunDenver 5K
RunDenver 5K
RunDenver 5K
RunDenver 13.1

...and whatever Kiwi signs us up for in between. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment