Friday, June 14, 2013

The Fun, The Fast, The Far

Last weekend was full of running and races, but not for me.

Well, kinda. Lemme explain:

Friday night, gym-work hosted a Glow Run at Lake Mayer. Starting at 9:30 pm, this 2-lap fun-run was filled with glow-covered participants out enjoying the holiday weekend. Fast? Competitive? No. Just a good time.

That was The Fun.

Saturday morning, I went to watch Boston Runner race The Savannah Mile. Her daughter, my Pick Up Doll (age 6) wanted to run the family mile. The family mile is open for anyone. So, in matching pink and purple- off we went! The 3 of us headed down Drayton Street for her first competitive mile, hitting somewhere around a 11:18. ...and looking super cute in the process.

That was The Fast.

Saturday evening, I headed to Daffin Park where some of the other Ultra runners had been going at it since 8am and showed no signs of stopping. Local legends Dan, Dawn, Bren, Mary, Lara, Masumi, Mary Jo, Jamie, Ted, and Emily... I'm sure I'm forgetting someone... cranked out some serious miles. Lara killed it with 100 miles. A personal record and a smile the whole time. Masumi put up an impressive 67+, while Bren, Jamie, and Ted chase-raced each other for a beautifully painful 50+ miles. Me? I did this:



For 2 in depth recounts of the day (and night!) check out what Dan and Bren have to say.

...I feel honored to have made a mention in both of their recounts. (Below; Dan. I stole your paragraphs!!)

"The event began at 8:00, Saturday morning and ended shortly after Lara crossed the line 23 hours later.  Along the way, we had several ultra super stars stop by and offer assistance and encouragement.  Tim Waz, Karen Heitner, Chris Ramsey, Kasha Jones – all stopped by and helped out during the day.  Thank you guys for being there!  It was great to have you guys there!" -Running for a Great Cause.

...oh. Did I mention they did all this to raise money for The Challenged Athletes Foundation?

If you're judged by the company you keep, I'm golden. Because they're all pretty great people.




The Fast (and the cute).

No comments:

Post a Comment